Thread: Mind Games?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Achnasheen

Mind Games?

We're getting ready to go and see our families, especially my mom who's not been well. While we wait for local restrictions to be lifted, we're getting our travel trailer ready to go. AH had quit drinking for about a month, (he's been a heavy drinker mostly beer sometimes vodka, for over 45 years) the last few weeks he drinks on and off, sometimes a lot, but most days just a couple of beer, some days not at all. He says this proves he's not an alcoholic. Anyway while checking the trailer he found out the furnace wasn't working and we were in the trailer taking a look to see if it was a fuse or something. He went outside and turned on the propane because the furnace needs it to work. I smelled propane in the trailer a few minutes later and said that I did, and left the trailer. I am terrified of propane because of an explosion I witnessed as a child, and he knows it. He said yes, it smells like propane because I just turned the tank on and I said no, it smells like It's inside the trailer. A minute later he says It's fine, it was just because a stove burner was turned on, It's off now you can come back in. I said why is a burner on, he said he didn't know, he didn't touch it. We had people stay in the trailer a few months ago, he said they must have left a burner on. Which makes no sense, because I remember that the propane was turned off after they left, if a burner was left on we would have known then, as there is a sensor and alarm. The burners have to be pushed in and turned, you can't bump them accidentally on. So my anxiety, paranoia wonders if this is a stupid prank to scare me. My practical side wonders if, even though he's not actually been drunk for several days and as far as I know had not had a drink yet at that point, could his brain be alcohol-injured so that he has forgotten that he turned the burner on? Do they just lie for the fun of it?
He has tried to scare me before, stupid things like showing me an animal track and trying to tell me it was a bear track when it was very obviously a horse! (I'd had a close encounter with a bear on the trail not too long before that prank).