Thread: 16 months
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hodd

16 months

Not posted a thread for ages, but I decided to after seeing a few threads from posters who’ve relapsed and use words such as failure. Some of you are being very harsh on yourselves. I doubt anyone with a drink problem gave up first time. I first quit in 2014 and then again in 2015, but I drank again until the end of 2017. <div><br></div><div>The big differences on the last and hopefully final* time were:</div><div><br></div><div>1. I told my GP I drank too much. </div><div>2. I accepted I had to give up 100%. </div><div><br></div><div>Number 1 meant I was accountable to someone. We all need to see our GP from time to time, and she always asks if I’m drinking. </div><div><br></div><div>Number 2 is the crux. Once you cross the line into alcohol dependence, you must quit 100%. Any “rewards”, just the one or attempts at moderation will lead to a return to drinking. No exceptions. If in the early days you feel like climbing the wall due to cravings, so be it. It will get better soon, though. </div><div><br></div><div>* I say final time as any ex-drinker is susceptible to relapse. I feel slight cravings from time to time, but these pass, and I know one small drink will lead to a return to drinking heavily. </div><div><br></div><div>Good luck all. None of us are failures. It’s not our fault we got unlucky with alcohol, but I will say life is great without it. </div>