Old 12-10-2005, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peter

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat
1) What one event or series of events led to you finally reaching your bottom?

2) My alcoholic boyfriend, Richard, who has been drinking for 40 years, just entered a two-week residential alcohol treatment facility yesterday, just six weeks after he nearly died from a combination of alcohol related pneumonia, congestive heart failure, diabetes, liver and kidney failure. What's the chance that a two-week residential program can help him reach and maintain sobriety? It just doesn't seem like enough time to me.
1) When I finally quit after nearly 20 yrs I was broke, homeless , physically sick, lonely , heartbroken and at the jumping off place.......I wanted the pain to stop and I had run out of ideas of what to do.

Alcohol had stopped working.

I had two choices: a) Either continue on to the bitter end .or b) Get help for myself.

My bottom was the final accumulation of years of dysfunction and apathy and did not just occur overnight.

2) Your boyfriend has to make his choice. Either quit for good or continue drinking. There is no middle ground for him anymore. A two week "drying out" session cannot reverse 40 years of physical and mental damage.

Short of a miracle of divine intervention your boyfriend may need some after care treatment to stay sober.

AA can help him to find support and encouragement.

He may also have to search deep to find whatever other source of inspiration he believes might help him.

Best of luck to you both.