View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SoloMio

Being married for 43 years to my AH, yes, I know that sometimes it's Gatorade, sometimes it's his "XXX" (won't say the nickname of the drink for confidentiality purposes)--which means it's laced heavily with vodka.

I've been on this forum for a long time and I check in from time to time. I've lived with alcoholism for many reasons, but needed to check in here today because, yes, I find that coronovirus presents many issues. DH was sober for months before this thing happened. Now there's nothing to do, but he does have access to the state liquor stores. He's drunk as a skunk. It's a challenge to tell him that we should take our garbage to the weekly transfer station. It's a challenge to get him to help with dinner. I look at my phone and he's "offended" that I'm not paying attention to him. When he was sober, just 2 months ago, we checked off so many things on our to-do list. We had a wonderful time. And now, I feel trapped with someone who has nothing to do but drink.

These times make it much harder for us who are living with active alcoholism. It's not as easy to "escape" with social distancing. Not that I would--as I said, it's been 43 years. But many might escape, and should.

Olivia, try to detach. Try to do what you can to self-care. Come to this forum or to any Al-Anon online forum. Use every moment to think through what's best for you, in the short term and in the long term