View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
MyLittleHorsie

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post

My goal for this week is to learn more about starting seeds. I'm not a green thumb, but have had balcony flowers most years. So it can't be too hard, right? Hmmm.

I'm afraid this is very U.S.-centric ... did want to tell other U.S. members of SR that there are good resources in every state, thanks to university Extension Master Gardeners. You can find them online. I'm starting with this information from a chapter in my neck of the woods.

https://hennepinmastergardeners.org/...-the-pandemic/

What about gardening in other places? SR has an impressive international membership. Perhaps others have ideas about planting in their part of the world.

I hope to start with lettuce and salad greens. Maybe get some flowers started.
Lettuce is easy. After a while it will go to seed and start tasting bitter. I usually start new seed about 3 weeks apart. I have trouble with tomatoes from seed, they get spindly on me. I think I start too early and they don't get pollinated the first time, at the right time. Have fun with it, I love gardening. I have certain plants that love me and ones I cannot grow for anything. Peppers, they hate me, between warring with the squirrels, struggling plants. 20 some years, I have gotten one pepper, the size of a quarter. I built iron maiden style cages and the effing squirrels still got them. Chives, I have entire beds full, lavendar, maybe 1 plant and he looked like he was struggling today.

Dh and I hot our first bike ride of the year. Little 10kms, kinda sore now lol.