Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Iamhighonlife View Post
I’m not sure if I’m an alcoholic or if it were a situational thing but I knewI had to cut down. And so I quit cold turkey 46 days ago. I did not have any withdrawal symptoms. So here I am happy to learn more.[/left]
Congratulations on 46 days. I used to have the "am I an alcoholic" debate with myself for years, and it's not always an easy question to answer. My sponsor in AA one time said he used to wonder if he was an alcoholic or just a slob." He eventually decided he was an alcoholic. The problem is that the line between normie and alcoholic is about as blurred as as a psychological diagnosis can be, and psychological disorders are almost always blurry.

46 days without cravings, if that's what you mean by withdrawal symptoms, suggests to me that if you do have a problem, it would be what I call "mild." But alcoholism is progressive, and if you are one of us, it will get worse (and harder to quit).

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Life handed you a real challenge, but alcoholic or not, I'm quite certain that drinking is not the best way out there to deal with problems. I wish I never would have started. No one expects to be an alcoholic, but I was young and had to try it. For me, it did not turn out to be a good choice.