View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Found

I'm back after over 9 years! Here is my take on the question. (Describing pre covid.)

In Britain we actually have a different AA from yours but (I think) the same Big Book and probably the same 12 x 12.

We don't say the Lord's Prayer and we weren't holding hands in most meetings (only a few).

I consider myself one of "we agnostics". In Britain that is taken as including atheists and in AA I don't find them antagonistic towards anyone.

My take on G.O.D. is Good Orderly Direction and for those that have suffered bullying I talk about the finger post by the library that says bus station that way, park that way, conference centre that way. We go where we want, when we want, if we want, how much we want, why we want. In my drinking time I couldn't do what I wanted even if it was months between binges, if I even dared think of what I wanted.

As to Higher Power I tilt my head backward so my nose is pointing straight up. Then I say to myself it is about what is beyond the end of my own nose.

As to illness an earlier sponsor showed me that we only trigger it if we ingest alcohol which we of this type aren't physically equipped to safely digest; when I abstain I go into remission so if I underpin that behaviour a day at a time I get a daily reprieve.

With the help of sponsors it has taken me 13 and a half years to get to Step 11.

In my literature it wisely warns me to avoid "excitement".

I had to conclude laboriously, that I had to bypass the bit about consulting ministers and rabbis (I knew quite a few of those.) Fortunately religions as such haven't become a feature of meetings (some people only mention theirs in passing).

As to spiritual I get from the Big Book that the steps are simply about what might be thought invisible things - this is simply what the weird allusions to Jung and James tell me. I'm keeping it simple and that's just me!

(I would write an additional text for use alongside.)

So a spiritual programme is simply one that deals in relationships, dynamics, boundaries, managing my thinking activities (my favourite hobby), decision taking, taste, discretion, initiative.

(Dictionaries give umpteen extremely divergent meanings for most words.)

My favourite slogan cards are: Give Time Time and Think Think Think!