View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
BeckoningCat
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
I think what some people talk about is the wet market in china. Like our fruit stands here in the us(which should probably stop) folks handle the fish and roasts, of beef and other animals then put it back. They poke and prod a piece of meat to see if they want it or not and lots of times put it back. then lick their finger to count money as they are buying things. They put their fish and stuff out on a table, not on a bed of lettuce and most importantly ice but just on a table outside right next to the road with tons of people walking by. The butchering gets done right there with the guts etc... just swept into the street or sewer. People have been calling for an end to these wet markets for a long time. I believe china themselves actually banned them after this outbreak. Probably not the best practice for apples, mellons, corn, etc... either. China is stuck between first world country and old school culture that alot of people still believe in and raise their kids with. Ancient medicine etc...
Chinese wet markets are no worse than American factory farms. Factory farms are disgusting breeding grounds for disease, antibiotic resistance, and biomagnifiction is a problem with wildlife in polluted areas (fish, deer, bear) etc. This is actually what I am in grad school for. My undergrad is enviro sci, and my area of research is impact of diet and animal agriculture on environment and health.

The United States now has more cases of COVID-19 although we have a significantly smaller population. We also have the world's 2nd largest carbon footprint, even though we have less than half the population of China. Their rural natural medicine bothers you? The United States healthcare system also kills a lot of people or allows them to die without treatment.

While wet markets are a serious problem and should be outlawed, it's not scientifically true that fruits and vegetables at farmer's markets are equally risky, nor is it true that all Chinese people are backwards or dirty. Yes, the wet markets should be banned. So should things like shark fin trade there. However, China has a beautiful culture and Chinese people actually invented many things we use worldwide today.

When you don't inform yourself with facts, you just sound prejudiced.