Old 03-22-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
snk0812

Question Recovering boyfriend with major mood swings

Hi everyone! I have been with my boyfriend for almost a year now. He is a year and a half clean from heroin and alcohol. I am beyond proud of him!! He regularly attends AA meetings, meets with his sponsor, and currently has three sponsees. He is very involved in the recovery community in our area. He lives in an Oxford house and even works for a drug/alcohol rehabilitation center. He loves helping others who have been in situations like him. I could not love the man more if I tried!! Recently, we have hit a bit of a rough patch in our relationship. Nothing exactly happened (no major event, fight, etc). He gets into these depressive moods sometimes and gets very sad and angry. He takes his frustrations out on me and then will just shut me out for a few days. Whenever I try to reach out to him at these times (a simple "I love you" text or a "thinking of you"), he tells me that I am being disrespectful and selfish because I won't leave him alone. After two to three days, he snaps out of his mood and acts like we are perfectly happy. Meanwhile, I am constantly walking on eggshells and trying to be the best girlfriend I can be for him while also trying to take care of myself and my mental health. It happens at least once a month. I have spoken with a few people about this and some have told me that this is normal behavior for someone recovering from heroin (I am not sure if this is true).

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Or does anyone face a similar situation?

Thank you in advance