Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
MesaMan

First, thanks for this thoughtful Thread. As is my nature some Years now into Sobriety, I read and absorb much more here than I comment.

I'm wired to work top-down. From Concepts to prioritized Action Items. I knew from the get-go that my desired Sober Construct would best be independent of outside, Crutch-like Structure. That is, I wanted to internally carry around - anywhere - whatever it was going to take to keep me Sober. I used to fly a lot on Int'l Business, and couldn't imagine having to look up 'x' Meeting, or rush to a high speed connection Back In The Day to 'attend' an on-line Meeting. Regardless of the Organization involved. Instead, I checked into SR daily when convenient, and still do.

In these times, I'm doubly-glad I followed my Gut to create my own structured, internalized Sobriety Construct, or Model.

Another favorable aspect is that I avoid all the considerable stress that 'too much Peopling' causes as it wears on us Introverts. Respecting these Boundaries frees me up to energetically contribute back to those who could use a lift to remain Sober, and help them realistically view the Larger World.

The majority of Abstinent Folks I meet while out in our RV Trailer, or while at local Dog Parks, are 'simply' Sober. As with me, there is no epic struggle anymore; how I always wanted it. You cannot achieve that which you do not first visualize. Like me, these Folks were - indeed - 'real' Alcoholics. Just as I used to be a 'real' Asthmatic. Now, I'm neither. I went about changing my condition at the Mental Core. So, I'm never surprised when Folks move beyond co-dependent Structure to exist out-and-about in the World freely Sober. I find this a splendid State to exist in.

I formulate, and mentally carry, Escape Plans for Social Situations. They're elective Options. I also check the Air in my Truck Spare Tire before I tow our Trailer. Preparedness fosters Serenity, and negates Fear.

Relapse fear is a non-issue if the sluggish Alcoholic State is mentally morphed into something forever unattractive. Mind-based Techniques to achieve this date back many Centuries.