View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ByAThread

Hey, guys...also glad to see this post...my AH is clinically depressed and alcoholic, has been on and off his meds for years, and on and off alcohol, more on than off. Aside from the various stigma attached to each disease, there is varying theory on treating folks with both. We had his last psych. tell us the drinking was the ONLY issue...not at all worried that he was suicidal at the time! That there was no reason to find out why he's depressed or why he drinks. Then there's also the conflicting recommendations as to how loved ones are to "treat" them...depression experts say be nurturing, supportive, help them, etc. Alanon says to detach, let them fail and hit bottom...so what do we do? When things get really bad, I fear he'll get suicidal if I'm not supportive, but fear he'll never stop drinking if I'm always there for him. His depression tells him he doesn't need the meds, but it also tells him he needs alcohol. Mine actually used the excuse of the meds saying right on them that you shouldn't take them when drinking for not taking them! We even had an ER doc tell him he should take the pills even if he IS drinking! I stepped in on that one and told her NOT to even consider saying that he SHOULD be drinking in the first place! She almost made it seem he should go ahead and drink, as long as he took his meds! Add to all this that he developed heart failure 3 years ago, and has all kinds of meds to take (which he is rarely consistent with), and all kinds of risks with the drinking. Life gets so complicated! Glad we all have each other to rely on, eh?
Barb