Old 03-18-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DriGuy

I suspect I'll get a little stir crazy, but in some odd way, this thing about isolating and changing our lifestyle is kind of an adventure. I will have to go to the store. That will be my biggest risk of exposure, but my near daily hikes involve a short drive to the trail heads where I seldom meet anyone else. I hesitate to say it will be fun. It's more like interesting.

I've never heard of social distancing or self imposed quarantine. So this seems like a big deal. I'm old enough to remember parents taking their children to a friend's house who had measles, chickenpox, or mumps to purposely infect them because there were no vaccines, and it was considered prudent to get those diseases in childhood, because they were quite dangerous to adults. My parents never bothered. There was plenty of exposure going on in the public schools.

One time I got this toy musical instrument called an ocarina for my birthday.

I brought it to school and one of my classmates grabbed it from me. A game of keep away ensued. I guess they call this bullying today. They took turns blowing the ocarina as I chased them about. The bell rang and we went to class and after roll call, the teacher called me to her desk, and asked if I felt OK. I said I felt fine, and she said, I think you have the German Measles, and the nurse sent me home. So I got the measles, along with all my bullying friends. They probably would have got it anyway, because we passed those diseases around like baseball cards. But I preferred to believe that I gave it to them. lol