Old 03-18-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm beginning to see the opportunities in this situation, now that I'm getting past the initial shocks.

Yes, a lot of really neat and fun plans I had for the near future are on hold or canceled. That sucks, frankly, and I allow myself to be disappointed. I have to work from home for the next few weeks at least (not easy, but doable), and my high school senior might not get to finish out his school year the way he hoped, and I doubt there will be a commencement ceremony. That's kind of sad, because he's in the running for valedictorian (I care more about commencement than he does). The economy is getting hit hard. My retirement savings are vanishing right now (I have time, it will come back, but it's scary right now). I'm watching media reports of panic buying and shortages, and seeing the worst side of people in some respects. So, there's a lot of negative stuff happening, there is no doubt about that. I am trying to take deep breaths, recognize that there isn't a darn thing I can do about most of it, and let things go. We are all in the same boat, after all.

So, what are the opportunities here? I'm turning my attention there, it's the only way I'm going to get through this with sanity intact. It's the only way WE will get though this.

I'm seeing the beginnings of some real community thinking and effort here in my fairly small town. People are thinking about their fellow humans, and figuring out how to help those who will have a difficult time getting through this without assistance. The elderly, people with children who suddenly have to figure out where their kids go during the day, people on the edge financially, people who are losing jobs right and left. I am seeing a lot of awakening of philanthropy, and our community facebook page with offers of help in various ways. My small part has been to make a donation to the local food pantry, and I'll be getting take-out from local restaurants more than I usually would have eaten out, so maybe some local places don't have to close permanently.

Once the panic buying is over (soon, I hope) people might start figuring out how to consume less. I know I am being more mindful of food waste already, and using fewer disposable things like paper towels and plates. There's going to be less movement for a while, resulting in at least a temporary improvement in air pollution levels in some places, as BeckoningCat noted. Maybe that will wake people up and they will understand the damage we are doing to the planet, when they see the improvements - it might give people perspective.

If we have family members at home, we are going to be stuck with them more than usual. I hope we can take this opportunity to re-connect on a deeper level. I hope we don't all just isolate ourselves in our rooms, noses buried in computer screens and other devices. I hope we converse. I hope we share our fears. I hope we find ways to have fun playing games, watching movies together, going outside to play. (I also understand that home is not a safe or happy place for many people, and I pray everyone makes it through this ok, or gets the help they need if it gets bad).

In general, I think this can be seen as a sort of re-boot. Step back from the crazy pace of the world for a while. Take some deep breaths. Discover (or re-discover some inner strengths. Re-prioritize. Figure out what is REALLY important. Think. Read. Listen to music. Meditate. Write. Exercise. Create art. Go outside (safely, of course). Find some nature. Spend time (safely) with loved ones.

Take care of your sobriety.