Old 03-16-2020, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NicLin

Trying to stay aware of the ego in strange times.

Hello my loving SR family,

I pray and hope that everyone is safe and healthy (and your families and friends). Miami is currently in a state of nervous energy.

People feel strange and are panicked. There are not enough test kits so the CDC is telling young people with symptoms to stay home. They have shut down restaurants and bars and dining. Strange thing is we are not seeing many more reports on positive cases, just panic.

My sister has asked me to not attend AA meetings anymore, which is getting easier to comply with as all of the clubhouses and churches are closing down. We had a weekend meeting outside by the water and for that I am grateful.

I am scared but feeling the normal "numbing" out, which is my best defense mechanism against fear, trauma, conflict, stress, etc. I am trying to stay on top of this and stay mindful and present. I am trying to be sensitive to my sisters extreme fear (she has a one year old that we live with) and understand, but it is hard as she wants me to do nothing she does not agree with.

I do not know what is happening and I have a lot of fear in me. I also have a lot of faith and trust in this Universe and my God and I pray that this will be over soon. They are expecting millions to be infected here in the States. I fear the rise in gun purchases, prep for theft and other dangerous possibilities. I just want everyone safe and calm.

I am so grateful to be experiencing this in sobriety, I cannot imagine myself drinking the way I was and staying healthy, alert and prepared. I would collapse. I pray also for the suffering alcoholic and hope that they find strength and peace in this time.

I wonder, how are you handling this? How are you staying sober, managing your feelings and fears, how are you handling the egoic mind right now?

I need guidance, I need strength as I am sure you all do. I am here for you.

Stay safe,

Nic.