Old 03-11-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Smilax

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
My two words: go slow. For all the reasons you described.

My now husband and I have an unusual history I won't go into here, but basically dated in high school and reunited out of the blue when he asked me to lunch summer of 2016. I was 4.5 mo sober and he was 1. That alone raised flags- except for a few major things: we had a very sweet, innocent and completely trustworthy basis from age 15; I was already working a hard AA program and sought a lot of guidance from people ahead of me, spiritual stuff etc; and we paced ourselves in time spent together.

In a nutshell we built a foundation that has turned into a wonderful marriage. Not everyone has this and for your VERY first relationship, all I can emphasize again is go slow, slower and even slower than perhaps you start feeling you want to.

Take care of you first, always.
Thank you. I'm very happy for you! Yes it's important for me to not lose myself in this. I can sense that is a definite danger. I need to keep as even a keel as I can. I think keeping up my other self care practices as I am is good. Monitoring how I'm feeling, being strictly honest with myself.