Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
DriGuy

The only time I needed an escape plan was the first time I was expected to host a poker party. You feel an obligation to your friends who had kindly invited you to theirs, and there is no question there is going to be drinking. I was in early sobriety, and I was scared to death. Assuming you are accurately self aware and not scared to death, there is no problem. Just go and enjoy yourself.

In my case, I needed a Plan B, and I would have used it had I needed it, but as it turned out, I hosted the event, didn't drink, and had a pretty good time. But having a Plan B gave me the confidence to accommodate social expectations and still feel safe. It created a climate where I made it clear to myself that it was entirely OK to leave at anytime regardless of awkwardness. I could always explain it to my friends later.

I can understand why those who are more rigid about things like this would simply see it as dangerous, and tell you you can't go. But hey, maybe you can and maybe you will be fine. This is where an accurate knowledge of self comes in. Of course, everyone probably thinks they have this knowledge, even if they are terrible at it. I think recovery should attempt to hone that skill. I actually think it's big. Some people come by it naturally, I think. They have very little honing to do. You never know exactly where you are on that scale, and how good you are at it. The escape plan, whether you need it or not, is an extra layer of protection. Why not have one? They are easy to make, and are always optional. It's like that probably expired fire extinguisher on the back of your pantry door. You may never need it, but it's a good idea to have it there.