View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
80% of people with the virus recover without any medical attention! It’s mostly dangerous to the elderly and people with auto-immune disorders and other health conditions. Truthfully I think it’s a hoax similar to the y2k and i’d be more worried about getting the flu!

I will continue to go to meetings and hold hands!
I happen to be one of those people that fall into the category of "it's mostly dangerous to" due to "other health conditions", and my doctors have told me for many years to treat the regular flu as a serious threat to my health. So I think it's a stretch to consider this virus as a "hoax". While still low the mortality rate appears to be around ten times that of the regular flu.

The other thing to consider, even if you are young and healthy, are the odds of passing the virus to someone who is not. Since this virus is novel it seems to be more virulent, as no one has any built up any natural immunity to it. So it may be true that the average person is at low risk of experiencing serious symptoms from this virus, but do you really want to be the one who passed it along to someone who isn't "the average person"?

I'm in my late 50's and have had 2 open heart surgeries. I also have a couple of parts that are not OEM keeping me running. I have also had bronchitis twice this winter, so I'm taking the virus very serious as it seems my immune system is not at 100%. That doesn't mean I'm panicking, just being prudent. For now I am skipping meetings and doing the social distancing thing. I am not sponsoring anyone atm which has made that decision a bit easier.

I don't think we've seen the worst of this pandemic yet, but I do have hope that it may wane over the summer months. If it does that will buy everyone some time to come to understand what we are dealing with a bit better and hopefully get closer to developing a vaccine.