View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
ThatWasTheOldMe

https://www.topresume.com/career-adv...your-interview

"But there is a 'gray zone' where complete, raw honesty might not serve you best. As a recruiter and HR consultant, I've asked tough questions, knowing full well that no candidate in their right mind is going to be completely honest in their answers. But that's somewhat of the beauty of these questions. They are a gauge of a candidate's social intelligence. I have great respect for candidates that reveal a ***** in their armor while managing to avoid hoisting any scarlet flags with their answers."

Why the games? What's the point of this? I can code and if I don't know how to code something, I can Google it. If I don't know the proper syntax for list slicing in Python, I can StackOverflow it. If I still don't know the answer, I can look at other sources or even YouTube videos. If I still don't know the answer, I can ask colleagues. If none of us know the answer, it's probably some sort of novel problem or we're using the wrong tool.

The point is, "Tell me about a time you got in a fight with a coworker." style interviewing is loaded and useless. It unnecessarily weeds out qualified, intelligent people.

And while some may think I am, no I'm not drinking today. In fact, I'll be going to my 5pm meeting here in CO.