View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 08:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

I still go to meetings after almost 27 years. There is an AA clubhouse 5 minutes away and I attend during the evening twice a week. Do I feel a need to attending meetings as an insurance against picking up that first drink? I like to stay close to AA although I find myself spending more time these days on SR.

Re meetings: one thing that stood out years ago was an old-timer who shared he needed two or three meetings a week or else he began to feel squirrelly. Which stuck me as odd because aren't the tools of AA supposed to help one navigate life on life's terms.

However, I recall an another old-time member share what sobriety has given him is a reservoir of experiences. Often unpleasant experience which he learned from and most important didn't pick up a drink.

This the way I see my sobriety. The sudden death of those very close and financial setbacks/nightmares. I experienced both firsthand without an urge to get drunk. Ultimately such events were added to my reservoir of life experiences and I have grown from them.

In meetings I sometimes share how I got though the bad times... and which tools of AA I used. I like to hear concrete examples of such tools (be they AA or say therapy) used in times of turmoil.

All said and done.. I have enjoy AA meetings and I enjoy SR too.

The internet has certainly opened more doors to recovery.