Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Fusion

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
A thought for your consideration. For some AA enthusiasts there is only one path to recovery - AA and the 12 steps. All other recovery methods are vastly inferior and will lead to failure. They usually will not say this directly but it radiates from their overall behavior. So want to get even so to speak? Then stay sober and happy. Nothing makes them more uncomfortable than someone who succeeds in recovery w/o their sacred program.

I am not saying this to in any way discredit the AA program. Personally, I like it and it helps me a lot. I also think that the AA only extremists are not practicing what I consider to be the right way of the program. To me it's a program of attraction .
This is why I posted for the OP. When I left AA, it was a truly frightening period. I was directly told by many...well, you can imagine the dire predictions, I didn't want to be one of the 'constitutionally incapable'.

But deep down, I knew I was flogging a dead horse, I'd tried, and tried, without success, I needed something else. Yet, at the same time, I was petrified of leaving, because of the predictors of doom. I took solace in the fact that the Big Book states that there are other ways. BillW was a wise man, as was his inspiration, William James, whom I believe was the first person to unwittingly mention brain malleability and neuroplasticity, before they were discovered.