Thread: Progress
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Noam19

Progress

So last night at 7 pm I hit the 30 day mark of sobriety! I was sitting in my truck waiting to pick up one of my kids from practice and actually did a count down watching the sobriety counter app on my phone. I was happy about achieving it, but my enthusiasm feels a bit tempered. It feels like I shouldn't be super happy about it because this is what I'm supposed to do. Kind of like brushing my teeth, I didn't celebrate after doing that this morning either! But it's not lost on me how good I feel, how clear I feel, and how I have developed a nice routine for myself over the past 30 days that have made it go fast and relatively painless.

Each morning I've been getting up an hour earlier to workout at home. When I get to work the first thing I do is sit down and write out my daily affirmations. The past couple weeks it's just been "I, First Name Last Name, am a sober man". I write that 15 times and then recite it out loud to myself 15 times. I'm big on daily affirmations and repetitive positive self talk. Then I hope on SR and commit to 24 hours, try to read and at the very least hit thank you on other's posts. Then I'm into my day. I might check SR again around noon. Evenings I hit the gym for another run and spend time with my family, read some SR before bed. It's working. Still have AV type thoughts and cravings from time to time, but it's working.

Finally, I posted a thread at the 10 day point and cited how one of the things motivating me the most this time was my 12 year old telling me he was worried and I needed to control my drinking. On the drive home from practice last night I casually mentioned 30 days to him. His response, "Good. Keep it going. If you feel like you want to drink, just have a glass of water. Or just hang out with us and we'll do something." He's obviously been hanging out on this site as well, or been in touch with you guys. I should probably ask him to be my sponsor or ask him to sponsor someone on here LOL. I'm lucky to have him and I don't want to let him or the rest of the family down.

Well have a great day. Keep plugging along. Keep supporting each other.