Old 02-19-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mishelli

Former users, a question about honesty, betrayal and disease

I’ve just found out that my “partner” of 7 years is Hep C positive. He doesn’t drink alcohol or use any illegal drugs at all. There is absolutely no evidence that he has used in the last 25 years. I am 48.

Are there any former or current IVDU here who can help me understand why my partner would lie to me about his hep c status for so long? Have any of you ever done this to someone you claim to be in a forever relationship with? Why? I’m also in need of some hints on how to approach him about this. I tried to find a nar anon meeting but there are none in my town.

My devastation on finding out about the hep c is because I found out by accident. My partner has never disclosed his hep c status to me. In fact, he has told me that all his tests had come back negative and he was as clean as a whistle. I’ve seen the relatively recent paperwork, which he thought he had hidden, and now know that this is not true. He is clean, but not for hep c.

My feelings around this are very mixed. I realise that telling others you have hep c can be embarrassing and shameful, I really, really get that. I realise that the possibility of transmission from sex and general living together, without sharing a needle with him, is very low. But taking that risk is my decision to make, not his. I have now been knowingly exposed to a virus without my consent.

Yesterday I had myself tested for everything and am waiting on the results. Whichever way my results come back I still need to address this and I’m really scared.

I am raging with fury but haven’t told my partner I know. I’m interested in all experiences if anyone is willing to share.