View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Cityboy

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
The night I drank 2 litres of chardonnay only to wake up to my cat being gravely ill was my greatest shame.
Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post
when we think of only us, we don’t care that we’re hurting ourselves. However, when we think of our pets, friends and family, it’s an eye opener. I do care now because I can see how me being hurt or sick does affect my loved ones, but when we’re in the throws of addiction, we just don’t see that.
For so long, especially the last 10 years or so, I've spent so much effort trying to "manage" my drinking. I have probably driven over the legal limit hundreds of times and have allowed my drinking to increase the level of risk countless times in countless situations. Most of the time it didn't seem so dangerous at the time. Sometimes it did and I did it anyway.

I was concerned about getting a DUI but don't remember being too worried about myself. Now I can contemplate the pain it would have caused others if something happened to me.

It seems unforgivable now to have put others at risk, my family and friends as well as strangers and their families. But at the time I didn't see it anywhere near as clearly as I do now. I guess that is the power that the addiction has over you.