View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
sobermafia

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Oh yes sobermafia.....with you all the way....when I got sober I was unable to watch a ton of shows....so many of them revolve around alcohol....craziness....it is in almost every scene in many shows...

I also used to like to drink with them (made me feel like I was doing nothing at all wrong, sort of), the whole glam drinking thing looked so cool and I wanted to join in. Ridiculous hey? On so many levels.

Even Shameless. Even though it shows how far drugs and alcohol could take us, I was still triggered by Frank Gallagher. (Drunk matriarch).

I decided to stop watching tv all together....the advertisements were often worse than the actual shows. And I still do that....I watch everything I watch on my laptop with no adds or movies etc that I put on a flash drive and plug into the tv.

Sorry, that was a lot....but yes.....I totally hear you. ❤️
More power to you to cut the shows out completely. I get why you probably had to do that, but I'm not sure I can do that. I mean I'm trying tell myself that I am getting more out of the shows watching them sober etc, but I guess I need to counteract the glamorization of drinking aspect and not letting it trigger me.

I hate to cut the shows out completely because then I think I'm going to resent it and feel like I am missing out and that being sober stinks and is punishment.

Besides, I have a few coworkers where we talk about TV shows like The Bachelor the next day and the train wreck that the show is.

I don't have cable so I very seldom have to watch commercials, so I guess I'm lucky there.

I can't blame the TV shows completely. I think it's a combination of things - work stress, family stress, etc. But it is definitely different watching shows sober, and I'll admit that sometimes watching the shows makes me miss wine.

But I know that the reality shows just show a glimpse of people's lives and that they aren't drinking 100 percent of the time etc.

Ugh! I sound messed up. But I guess I just have to be honest and put it out there, that this aspect of being sober has its pros and cons.