Old 02-14-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I got a lovely Valentine's weekend gift yesterday, actually. Not a gift really, but this is what happened. My grown daughter lives a few blocks from me in our small town, and our work schedules are similar, so we see each other in our cars on the way to and from work more often than we manage to see each other in person, lol. Anyway, yesterday morning I was behind her car, and saw that one of her taillights is burned out, so I texted her when I got to work to tell her. She knew it was acting up, sometimes working and sometimes not, and just has not gotten around to fixing it. I told her to be extra careful if she has any drinks and then drives, because police in this town don't have much to do and WILL pull you over for a burned out light, and if they even THINK you might have been drinking they will ask and test you. I got my first DUI that way. It was my way of gently reminding her not to drink and drive, or at least to only have one or two at the most. I worry about both of my kids with alcohol, because of my alcoholism, and I'm pretty sure at least 3 or 4 other people in the family have issues with addiction that they have not/did not address. I do believe there is a genetic element to the disease.

She told me she almost never drinks anymore! That did my heart so much good. She said it just makes her feel icky. She's 28 - I hope this sticks. So that was my Valentine's gift, even though she has no idea how happy it made me.