Old 02-13-2020, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Admiral

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
How can an alcoholic like me stop and stay stopped. I don’t enjoy it and don’t even get a buzz from it anymore!
It's a craving of habit. We spend so many years doing the same thing, it forms pathways in the brain that condition us to want to keep doing it. It's nothing more than that. Be easy on yourself, those pathways won't vanish overnight, but over time they will grow weaker and fade.

I think it can be easy to stay stuck in the "fight". We believe that recovery will be difficult and that we will have to suffer for months or years before we get better. In the past I was so focused on the fight to come that I missed the moments of peace. I felt some sense that I had not earned it yet.

I had bad cravings yesterday, but today I do not. I will rest in this moment of silence and take this time to heal and understand. In times of darkness we often times cannot see past that darkness. Only in the light can we see that we were blinded by our own ignorance and in fact, everything will be okay in the end.