Old 02-13-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
D122y
Blue Belt

The only way I was able to quit, so far, was to understand my addiction.

I really think my addiction is not special. I believe it is the same for everyone, minus things like clinical depression etc.

My addiction is caused by the brain damage from years of drinking.

My brain didn't produce enough dopemine to make me happy.

When I was trying to quit, I was into grappling. The dopamine, adrenaline, endorphins etc I created from the grappling got me through the first 2 plus years.

During this time I learned how people get addicted to grappling.

I correctly related grappling to drinking and learned what I was feeling.

All of my frustrations were medicated when I was grappling/drinking.

Even when I wasn't drinking, I knew eventually I would be and things would feel better. When I would sober up I knew soon enough I would drink again.

Now I don't grapple anymore but I get the same dopemine from exercise. Sometimes I go light, sometimes I go heavy. My body can only stand about 10 hours a week of exercise before I start to not recover fast enough.

I also do other things to create dopamine. These things include: good food, music, shows, reading sr, being a nice person petting my doggy etc etc.

Understanding my /our addiction was key for me getting this far.

I craved daily until about 6 months this ago. Now I don't crave, but i still obsess about silly stuff. That is getting better too.

Basically, i have unlearned drinking with the caveat of i know why.

Hope this helps you get through the first few years. After that, I don't know because I haven't been there.

Thanks.