Old 02-13-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
comtnman740

Trudging the road to Happy Destiny - 3 Years!

Trudging the road to Happy Destiny - 3 Years!

Three years ago today i awoke out of another blackout head throbbing, anxiety to the max and in complete despair. Bottles were thrown all over my little cabin in the mountains with a half charred Swanson TV dinner in the toaster oven. A brief moment of clarity pushed me down the mountain to the hospital where i began my journey on recovery.
Today I celebrate 3 years clean and sober. It’s really hard to believe that I’ve come this far. A few years ago I could not string a couple of days together. I was stuck in the rinse and repeat cycle of waking up with the incomprehensible demoralization of the previous night, coping through a day of intense anxiety and/or hangover until the afternoon when I felt like a drink would be nice.
“Men and women drink because they like the effect that alcohol produces. The sensation is so elusive that after a short time they can’t differentiate the true from the false. Their alcoholic life is normal to them.” That was my life for 25 years. That’s a lot of wreckage and I’m still repairing things. I have a 24 hour reprieve which requires me to stay spiritually fit. This past year has been incredibly challenging for me. Unfortunate accidents, relationship stressors and a ton of change have not been easy. When life gets difficult i have to realize that alot of what life throws at me is out of my control. I do the best i can and move forward with the serenity prayer in mind. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to know the difference." In order to make it through some of the toughest times in my life i leaned on the program of AA , contacted my sponsor/fellow AA when in need and tried to stay in the middle of the pack. I worked through the steps but still have a ton of work to do. I do know one thing that a drink will never make anything better. Thank you All for your support and love through the years!
Garrison