View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Delilah1

I have been sober four years now, and I found the difference when I started out this time (I’d tried and had varying periods of sobriety before) was shifting my focus to recovery, rather than “I can’t drink.” I made choices that’s were healthy for my emotional and physical health.

Mindfulness has been of the biggest pieces of my recovery. Learning to live in the present moment has been so important. I cannot change the past, only learn from it, so spending time beating myself up about any past choices is not helpful. I also cannot predict the future, so spending time worrying only causes anxiety for me. I focus on making positive choices in the moment, and trying to enjoy it.

Another thing that has been huge for me is gratitude, no matter how difficult a day or situation looking at life through a lens of gratitude helps. Today you have three days sober, that’s definitely something to be grateful for. Journaling each morning one or two things you are grateful for might be a good way to start the day, and you can end it the same way.

I read and post on SR daily. In the beginning I was on here on and off all through the day. I was always able to find someone who could support me if I was struggling. I still check in each day, and I enjoy supporting others who are just getting started.

As far as time, each day gets a little bit easier. You will wake up and notice you don’t have that foggy, hungover feeling, you will look in the mirror and notice your eyes look clear, you will get s call fro m a friend, or child who needs a ride, and you’ll just grab your keys and hop in the car because you’re sober and driving isn’t an issue.

You will notice all sorts of positive physical and emotional changes, just be patient with yourself, and have a plan when thoughts of drinking pop in your head. Posting on here when there happens is always a good option.

You can do this, and I promise you sobriety is worth it! ❤️