View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

CK- there are still fires. I think the media has moved on to a large extent- what with global viruses and Brexit and the Iowa elections, etc....
There are still bad fires in the Eastern states, the huge fires on Kangaroo Island are within containment lines and mainland crews are being sent home- but the danger of flare ups is still very much the case in all areas of Australia. There is still weeks of summer- and hot autumn weather to go with huge fuel loads- of dry bush (years of droughts) and private properties in fire prone areas that have neglected removing excess growth, dead branches/leaves etc.

The worst of the current fires, overall has passed- but that threat of a fire starting- it only takes minutes to be a real danger.

The really great thing is the cleanup and revival of communities that have been hit hard post fires. For example- my interests lie in art- and there are numerous fund raising exhibitions/sales of donated pictures, music events, food events.....

the impact of these fires will be felt for years- from grass roots organization of volunteers and dealing with PTSD, to the political and financial implications.

It seems to me the mood around these fires has lifted from at times despair and helplessness- to a more optimistic 'what can we do now, today- to make today and the future better?'.
Addit- the fires have cause great trauma and distress to many, many people- from deaths, loss of property, to smoke inhalation and financial loss to volunteers who run small businesses.