View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StevePDX

Greetings from Portland

Hi Everyone,

I'm Steve and I'm an alcoholic. I live in Portland Oregon USA. I've been lurking on this site for over a year, but just now registered to post.

I'm 56 yo and recently finished 17 days in rehab. I'm home now and will begin out-patient treatment on Monday. I expect to do at least 10 days in OP, work the Smart Recovery program and supplement those by attending meetings and visiting the SR website. I have a sponsor on board and a positive support network.

My story is much like most drinkers. Short version is that my moderately heavy beer drinking was manageable until it wasn't. Getting hammered at a basketball game in which my 15 year-old daughter had to drive home from (and subsequently called me out on) was the last straw. I woke up at 5am on the couch in my clothes and realized I had hit bottom. So, I went upstairs, packed some clothes and woke up the kids to tell them I was going to go somewhere to get better.

I took an Uber to the hospital and they directed me to the ER where a nice, very competent social worker found me a detox/recovery center and arranged for a taxi to take me. Detox was a blur (not surprising because I had a BAC of .20 at 10am after not drinking since midnight). The treatment center was great. I learned a lot and met some really great people that I hope to keep in touch with for many years to come.

Anyway, I'm feeling very good right now and looking forward to this next chapter in my life. I know that "talking" with all of you will be very beneficial to me maintaining my sobriety and thriving in this new reality.

I have many more details that I plan on sharing, but this will have to do for now. I just wanted to make sure I got the ball rolling by saying hello.

Steve