Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  
Samsheppard64

"continuing"

The next five months were extremely difficult. My wife fighting a deep depression closed herself off from me and my side of the family. She was making it clear she hated me for all the years of my alcoholic drinking. I did not nor could I blame her and I would not try and persuade her to see things differently. It was obvious we felt the strain of the weight of the pending legal case that would ultimately decide our fate. It is important for me to make clear, I so very deeply love my wife that I also hated me for all the years of my alcoholism. The disease of alcoholism and addiction are both side of the coin of treachery. I was keenly aware the foundation of our marriage and of our lives were in peril.

It was without warning I received a call from my Attorney’s assistant. My case was being brought forward and I was to appear in court the following day at 1:00pm. I was stunned unprepared and unable to mention this call to anyone, not in the office or at home. The next day after a sleepless night I dressed in my best suit and when the time came headed to the court house. My attorney was handling more than just my case and rushed from one conference room to another as I remained seated in the hallway. He did slow down long enough to grab my hand and ask how I was and said he would be with me shortly. While seated in the hallway I saw the officer who arrested me. We did not speak and I did not try and make any type on contact with him. It is my position that I was handled by the officer in a professional manner and I have no ill will towards him or the other officers involved.

While I sat in the hallway one of the prosecutors came out of the courtroom and asked around for those who were present regarding my case. Because I knew he was not my representative I sat in my seat motionless. The arresting office raised his hand and acknowledged he was present and the two began to speak. I was able to over-hear the prosecutor say the other witness would not be present because he was involved in another court case in town several miles away. Shortly after that my Attorney grabbed me we went into a conference room to discuss strategy. I knew at this point the case could be dismissed because the state witness was for the second time a no show.

"to be continued"