Old 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
jr67

Hey all. Time to jump on the weekend bandwagon.

I just came over from another thread, in which I posted something about anxiety, but it seems appropriate to put it here, as well:

I get a lot from a mindfulness practice book specifically geared towards people with anxiety issues. It employs the mindfulness meditation framework laid out by Jon Kabat-Zinn in books like "Full Catastrophe Living" and "Wherever You Go, There You Are."

Ah, here it is, let me just dust off the cover, ... ok it's called "Calming Your Anxious Mind," by Jeffrey Brantley, M.D., with a foreword by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Subtitle of book: "How mindfulness and compassion can free you from anxiety, fear, and panic."

I find myself rereading sections from time to time when the anxiety level seems to have crept back up on me.

Here is a passage:

"In this chapter we learned about the important inner conditions that form the foundation for your mindfulness practice. Meditation will be most effective if you approach it as a curious skeptic, motivated to practice and confident in your innate power. Mindfulness is founded on the seven essential attitudes of nonjudging, patience, beginner's mind, trust, nonstriving, acceptance, and letting go. Recognizing and cultivating these inner qualities will create the optimal conditions for you as you teach yourself to be present in order to manage fear, anxiety, and panic."

Jr's weekend IRL is still a day and a half away, so I'm on my way back to workywork. I'll catch u later.