View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DriGuy

echodenali,

Maybe you need more than a support group. Notice I said "MORE than a support group," not INSTEAD of." In my case I usually think of my support group as being the most important part of my recovery, but in thinking about your situation, I realized that there was much more to my recovery than that. Most of my recovery happened inside of me. That's where the battle takes place. The support group was only the first source outside of myself that seemed to help turn the tide. It's more than pats on the back and "attaboys." It's a resource of information, opinion, facts, and other offerings, some of which were things I never considered. And some of those things were essential.

Before I quit, I had an uncountable number of first days. I think I vowed to do something about my drinking every day upon awakening. Granted, quitting was not part of what little strategy I had. It was unspecific and not really committed. It was more like a desire to not feel like an out of control drunk. Just a desire, without a real strategy, and no where to go for help.

I made it three days a few times, when my body was so alcohol depleted and screaming to be fed, that I gave in. But recovery is more than desires, one days, or three days. I took some struggle, which got harder for about a week, and than very quickly became easier with a light at the end of the tunnel. With the cravings easing off, all I had to do was remember not to drink.

I don't want to make "remembering not to drink, sound like it's just that easy. Remembering not to drink is harder than it sounds. It's a mental exercise that requires a long period of vigilance focusing on not forgetting how important it is not to drink.