View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Buckley3

Try not to get wrapped up in the disappointment, the guilt, etc. etc.

Instead give yourself a pat on the back - you are here and you are taking steps in the right direction. Now, just quit. Sober. That's it. Today. Sober, not gonna drink today.

I'm a firm believer that when we're trapped in the cycle that setting ourselves up for failure is just an underhanded psychological game we play with ourselves. It goes like this: "If I drink then I'll just feel bad about it and the feeling bad about it - especially if I make myself and everyone believe it - means I'm ok." It's crazy I know but it turns out sometimes we'd rather just feel bad about things then actually deal with them...because feeling guilty about it may not take as much energy or effort as actually doing something different.

Problem is, alcohol doesn't give a poo about our feelings. It plays for keeps. So while we play those games with ourselves the booze just quietly continues to systematically destroy our lives.

Get off the merry-go round. It's really really good here on the sober side.

Ride it out. Be good to yourself, treat yourself and in the meantime for awhile just don't drink. Today.

-B