Thread: It’s worth it
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kdon853

It’s worth it

I see people struggling, I remember it well
Getting sober is NOT EASY, The physical withdrawals, sweats, insomnia (still don’t sleep but that’s ok) mental anguish, socially ineptness didn’t go away for a few months. It was a long slog, nobody had faith in me which I understood. I was lonely started going to AA couple of meetings a day just listened took suggestions.
Made a plan I wasn’t going to pick up no matter what. Some days it was don’t let me drink an hr at a time, a day at a time a moment. I drank for 40 yrs teens thru53yrs old. I’m 56 now.
I just want to say it gets better, your body and mind get better. Your relationships get better. You are no longer ashamed and feel like your inferior to every person that you meet. You feel like you have a purpose again.
Life is not always great, there are always new situations that come up good and bad. You can face them though. I ran from everything I’m not running anymore.
I had to figure out what I liked to do . I still ski, play golf see bands and not drink. I don’t go jet games anymore, tailgating bores me. I take walks , fix things in my house. Try to guide my kids 1 is in college other 2 high school. Be a good husband, that’s tough always thought I’m ok you should be too. That doesn’t work.
It’s a great feeling when you wake up one day and think wow I don’t want to drink today. I’m rambling hope this helps someone, it helps me
Kevin.