Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 07:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
JdA23

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
First, I have accepted that one drink leads to the next and that ultimately I will end up right where I started. How do I know? The fact is that I don't. I haven't tried it since I got sober, so how could I possibly know for sure? Maybe I'm the exception to this rule of "common knowledge."

But my personal plan to stay sober contained an important commitment that I would never drink again. Maybe I could drink without consequence, although I do believe that's a fluff dream. Regardless of what I believe or know, one of the foundations of my own plan was that I would never take another drink. My plan works for me.

Now this thing you have about living in fear that you will drink again is not an unusual fear. It's totally understandable, because you know what your life was like when you drank. And that fear resonates and mirrors what I went through in early sobriety. At first I treated that fear as an asset; That fear was the motivator keeping me sober.

Eventually, that fear subsides with continued success. Is this good or bad? We don't want to live in fear, so it's good. But if losing that fear causes us to drink, it's bad. Wow, talk about a two edged sword! As I felt that fear diminish, I found myself fearing losing my fear, and therefore my sobriety.

But here's the thing. My plan is founded on never taking another drink, and I was committed to sticking with the plan. So how do you let the fear go if not drinking is driven by an emotion of fear? I switched tactics. I decided to actively let the fear go, even pushed it away. Instead of not drinking out of fear, I decided I would not drink out of intellectual choice. That's a way more rock solid strategy, because emotions like fear are fickle and a poor way of running your life. Now with sobriety, you have choice to process decisions using logic, and it's gift that lasts forever as long as you don't drink. OK, it requires some work. You have to make thinking (God forbid) a habit, at least until it becomes your default and it becomes automatic.

Second, AA is not for everyone. It's not even designed for everyone. It's one strategy out of many and it's a spiritual program designed for spiritual people who are drawn to solutions of a supernatural nature. Not everyone is built that way.

But there are other things about AA that are useful. As you have already found, there are nice people in AA who do understand you, and they have knowledge and advice that you can sort through and experiment with. This type of help is more heart to heart and based on practical experience, rather than the formalized parts of the AA program. There are useful tidbits scattered through these personal exchanges that can help you.

It's also a group of new friends, the kind of friends you need when you are are trying to break bad habits that your other friends make a normal part of their lives.

I went to meetings daily for a couple years, and then started going less and less as I milked AA for the last of the most helpful parts. I went to my last meeting 10 years ago. I could have left years before that, but I still liked being around that environment. Like letting go of my fears, I let go of AA. I'm on my own path now, and it sounds like you are finding your own path too. There is nothing wrong with that. We should not sell ourselves short. We need plans. The psychologists say that goals are important. We can make good plans and decisions on our own. Sometimes we need help. That's OK too.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough response. You seem to have hit all the points that I'm feeling. I highlighted something that struck me that I was trying to explain to my sponsor. Thank you for finding a way to put into words. I was speaking with a sober friend, who very open to suggestion and found his way through a religious experience. I said to him that at first sobriety(for me) was like learning how to ride a bike. AA was there to hold the seat and handle bars to make sure I don't crash. Giving me instruction about staying upright and balanced or I will crash. But eventually you have to ride that bike on your own with confidence, knowledge that was gained. For me, if AA is always holding that bike up, I'll constantly be reminded Im going to crash if I break free. Therefore, never really learning how to ride that bike. I know it's a stretch to think like that but it was the best way for me to explain it. Good news I had a good talk with my sponsor about it. And as much as I love the guy, he always comes back to the book, even suggested i do controlled drinking! Geesh! I had to tell him this isn't about wanting to drink but living confidently and know I am making the right decisions on my own. I feel good now that I've made this decision, there seems to be a weight lifted. Another thing that was disheartening about leaving is missing the good people that I have met and learning about what AA has done for them. I know that I can keep in touch and I plan to. With that, I do appreciate the time you took in your response.