View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
equus

I am stuck in the statistics. He won't quit drinking without support. He won't get support. Therefore he is doomed.
Jenny, try to find the statistics, have a look on the net, wherever but try to find the source. Ask whoever told you them for a reference (informally - where did you find that information?), see if you can find even one - I couldn't! I also struggled with this because our support faded when our counsellor moved house! I have searched and searched and searched - I even asked for help on the alcoholism forum to find the one stat quoted to me (without a reference I might add), that 95% of alcoholics die if left untreated. One member on that forum suggested the stat came from the APA but even using their site as a source I couldn't find it - I asked again for help, apparently no-one found it, or did but just didn't post.

It's very possible like an urban myth it is believed and repeated so much that it's taken as fact. My question would be WHY is such an important stat not available anywhere reputable? It isn't on the NIAAA (Nat. Inst. for Alc Abuse and Addiction) despite them holding numerous journal articles, it wasn't on American Pcysh Ass (APA), it isn't on the UK Alc Concern site.

However I did find this in January:
2001-2002 Survey Finds that Many Recover from Alcoholism: Researchers Identify Factors Associated with Abstinent and Non-Abstinent Recovery

I'm the first to admit I could have missed something but before you go through feeling your husband is doomed see if you can find it, ask others to help - those that tell you it's fact.