Thread: thank you
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JeffK

Where to go...

Lesa,

Where one may go to meetings, to me, depends on where someone is likely to get the most help.

I live in a town where there are 450 AA meetings and 23 NA meetings, yet I attend NA exclusively. Why? Because that's where I identify the most and it's where I get the most help in my recovery. To put it simply, it feels like home. It's also a matter of recovery philosophy for me.

From the moment I read the Basic Text of Narcotics Anonymous, I deeply identified with what it said, which made it much easier to accept what it teaches. I didn't get that from the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous. The same is true for me in regard to the meetings. I simply identify better with NA members than AA members. This is not to say that the Big Book is inferior to the Basic Text, or NA members are superior to AA members; it just means that one speaks more clearly and definitively to me than the other. Identification and acceptance of a given program and philosophy is important if one is to stay clean.

I find that if people keep an open mind and do their best to stay in the solution, they will find their way and end up in a place that best suits their needs.

JeffK