Thread: Day 1
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober45

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Very good advice, Surrendered.
I found scheduling my free time hour-by-hour to be extremely helpful in early days. Even if I didn't exactly follow the schedule, it gave me structure and a plan.

What are your thoughts about checking out AA, Sober45?

O
This is the first time I connected to any type of support and it's really helping. I'm staying on the same thread because I want to easily go back and retrace my steps when (if) I hit that bump in the road. And the advice i'm getting here is really helping.

I've thought about AA many times and personally and I don't agree with the 12 steps. For example, I don't think I would ever believe I am powerless over alcohol.

I believe in neuropathways and the brains reward system. While being young and stupid I repeated negative behaviors (not just drinking) that fed into my reward system and are now a part of my subconscious. The only way I can change that is to create new pathways (by force) consciously. I used this line of thinking and was able to quit smoking 1.5 years ago after smoking for 30 years.

I'm also using a strategy called CORE: commit, objectify, respond and enjoyment.

My past has taught that quite often the more I think I know the less I know so who knows what lies ahead.