View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
VinnyMcM

20 days and feeling...eh

In my case, my detoxing is coming at me in two completely different stages. I’m assuming this is very common.

First stage was physical. All the physical withdrawal symptoms that we all know and love. Nausea, sweating, shakes, heart rate, etc. Name a withdrawal symptom and I had it. That passed after 3-4 days and then my mind went into a euphoric state where I got my sober plan into action and got my life set up to become manageable again. This last approximately two weeks.

Second stage is purely mental. All physical symptoms are gone. I’ve lost 9 pounds with exercise, eating “healthy”, and plenty of water. I’ve lost two inches off my gut just from not being bloated all the time. I can’t remember the last time I felt this good physically.

After that euphoric state faded away, it got real. Am I really doing this? Quitting drinking? It’s such a weird thought that produces both happiness and fear in my brain. Adjusting to a completely different life that I have lived over the past 20 years will be no easy adjustment but I’m excited for it.

Currently, I’m going through small bouts of irritability, mood swings, insomnia, and depression. Yes, those are all symptoms of PAWS. Do I have it? I have no idea. It can’t be diagnosed. Even if it would be diagnosed, I am not going on any more medication. More than likely I would get prescribed a benzo or opioid to “fix” this. Not happening. I will power through it.

I have noticed that I see a dramatic improvement when I actually do get sleep. I posted on day 17 about being tired all the time. This has gotten better in the past couple days but my sleeping is still very erratic. Two nights ago I slept one hour and all my mental symptoms came roaring back. Last night I slept 11 hours and all the symptoms are gone.

Oddly enough, through all of this I have not had the slightest craving for a drink. I know I’m very lucky in that regard.

My rant is over. Even though I’m going through all of these expected ups and downs, quitting drinking has been the best thing I have ever done and I will not go back. Have a good day everyone!