Old 01-05-2020, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
16YearsDrunk

1 Year and 8 months later I get to post my success post :)

It's been the first time in 1 year and 8 months since quitting alcohol that I've been in a pub. We had a family meal today ... at a pub.

I went to the meal and drank blackcurrant juice. The thought of an alcoholic drink didn't and doesn't even cross my mind anymore. But today is a huge success for me.

Since quitting I've dealt with many ups and downs with mental health and agoraphobia. I've been in some dark places. But, I've made vast improvements. Learning to deal with life's problems sober has been tough after spending 16 years prior using alcohol to deal with problems.

So far I've had 2 Christmases, 2 birthdays, and 2 new years that I've spent sober. It's been fantastic. Life has been so much better since quitting.

I thought the quitting process would be fast and as soon as I'd kicked the habit I'd be back to normal. But it wasn't that easy for me. Kicking the actual drinking habit was the easy part. People warned me it's a long recovery and I brushed it aside thinking it'll be different for me. But they were correct. The past 20 months I've learned so much about myself, others and life in general.

If you're quitting right now I can promise it's worth it. To all the people that helped me on this forum I just want to say