View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 03:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DriGuy

I spend a lot of time isolating. I've done that all my life. I find it comforting, so I don't worry about it, even though I've been told it isn't right. Isn't right for who? I've done my share of socializing too with a wide array of outcomes ranging from a lot of enjoyment to very little.

Sometimes I think other people are absolutely necessary, and that brings me to the group phenomenon in recovery. It's not for everyone, but starting in college, growth groups made an impression me. My biggest personal insights happened either in groups or in conjunction with them. Groups can be an intense learning experience if they are properly monitored and structured, which sometimes means very little structure.

I would not call SR going solo. I prefer face to face. Could I have quit drinking without a group? I don't know; Maybe. It may just be that a group experience was the first thing that worked. It doesn't make it the only thing that can work. But it does almost seem like it was the only thing because of the profound change in my behavior that occurred during the time I participated. My closest friend where I live today, who was far worse off than I with alcohol, quit drinking completely on his own many years ago, somewhere in the 20 to 30 year range as best that I can reconstruct his history. He doesn't talk about it much, but he never got involved in any group. He's doing well now.