View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 12:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The really good thing about my 50s is I get to define who I am and what I do.
I get to define success too.

Nothing wrong with cars and houses and wherever else. I've no quarrel with anyone who chooses those things as success markers for their life either...

but I know I'm more of a success as a human being now without those things, that I was in my 20s when I thought I needed those things to be a success.

There's an intangible equality of being at peace worth more than any Rolls Royce to me, I guess?

D
I agree.

Most of those things are only important when we don't have them. When we do have them, we come to learn that they don't make any of us a better person.

The choice is then about getting more stuff or moving in another direction.

The problem with aiming low is that you always hit the target. Taking the more difficult path shows us who we are; doing what we've always done reminds us of the person we no longer want to be. Or never wanted to be in the first place.

It's a simple though not easy process that bears extreme pressure from without and from within; a process that is loaded with uncertainty, aka one of the ways in which we define important decisions.

What's the worst thing that can happen if I take the risk of living a better life?