Old 12-30-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
melki

So how do you explain why you're not drinking?

- So how do you explain why you're not drinking?
- I don't.

A relative asked me this question yesterday after we were coming back from a party. Five years into my sobriety, it occurred to me that I don't even bother coming up with excuses or explaining why I don't drink. I say "no thanks" and order or pour myself a non-alcoholic drink. If pressed or asked about it, I just say "I don't drink" and it hasn't once been an issue. Before I got sober, I remember being so worried how would I ever explain why I'm not drinking? Am I taking an antibiotic? Am I allergic? Not feeling well? On a cleanse? For religious reasons?? Drinking was such an overwhelming presence in my life I don't think it even occurred to me then that it was possible to shrink it to something I just don't do. I don't drink. No explanations necessary. I
also worried that becoming sober would have to be accompanied by cathartic confessions in real life. It doesn't have to. These are our personal private journeys, and we can all choose our own paths to becoming sober.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but maybe someone does. Best wishes to everyone in 2020!