Old 12-30-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
VinnyMcM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You might be surprised how much your kids really know Vinny, I know I was. I also thought I hid my drinking well, but in the end that was another lie my alcoholism was telling me. All the times I fell asleep on the couch or the way I smelled, or the way I talked - even younger kids notice something is different about their parents when they are drunk, which I was pretty much every waking moment I wasn't at work.

Kids do learn a lot about drugs and alcohol in school too, but frankly it's hard enough for us to understand our own addiction - much less explain it to someone else. What I tell my kids is that I don't drink because I choose not to, and that drinking is not good for me, which is quite true in my case. My wife still has an occasional single glass of wine, maybe once a month or less - so I don't demonize alcohol around them. But they know something is different about my relationship with alcohol - and why I don't drink at all. For refernce, my kids are between the ages of 10 and 16 currently - they were 4-9 when I quit.
Yeah I know I’m probably fooling myself into thinking I was hiding it from them and for that matter, everyone else. It’s not normal for an adult to go to bed at 8:00 (pass out).

For better or worse, with the ages my kids are at, their minds are like play doh. They can be molded differently every day. There is no turning back with my sobriety. My kids don’t deserve that.