Old 12-21-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
VinnyMcM

Honestly believe I was one week away from death

I knew I had a serious problem when I started working from home. Good money but I hated my job and began drinking all day (drinking til I passed out at noon and then drinking when I woke up and repeat). It was beer at that point.

I knew I had to stop but couldn’t get over the withdrawals. Beer didn’t work anymore. I switched to vodka. Pretty much straight.

I got a new job where nobody knew if I would go into work or not. So I didn’t. Some days I would drink an entire 1.75 and pretty much stopped eating and throwing up about 8 times a day. This went on for about 3 weeks but I got very good at hiding it.

December 17, 2019 at 4:02 a.m. I drove myself to the ER. Pulled over in the middle of the road and threw up again. Admitted myself with alcohol withdrawal and they took me back right away.

Blood pressure 193/126. Pulse of 176. Liver levels 10x normal.

They immediately put an iv in me and pumped me full of what seemed like 10 drugs I can’t even pronounce. I’ll never be sure of this but I believe I overheard them outside my door asking if they should have a defib close by.

I was sent home that day when heavy doses of Librium and bed rest. Hospitals have really advanced their treatment system with this.

I can’t even began to explain how much this experience has changed my life. I know it’s only a few days but these have been the best few days of my life! I’m already finding my passion for old hobbies and have even starting exercising. It’s going to be a long road but I’ve already gained something I haven’t had in 20 years: HOPE!!

If you’re still with me, the moral of my story is I would not be here if I finally didn’t open up to my loved ones about my addiction. Also, please seek medical attention. There are so my resources and people are not as judgemental as I thought.

Thanks for reading!