Old 12-20-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
kk1k5x

Today was interesting. I managed to move forward with the research some, not a whole lot, but it keeps providing interesting tidbits to wonder about. Every five pages, the topic of people's discussion seems to change and that introduces a new angle on the problem. I am approximately 4% through with the data and I could easily see myself writing the article soon enough, the material is just that rich. A true treasure chest for sure Very happy to have sort-of-kind-of stumbled on it through one of my 'quirky' ideas! I'm also very grateful for my friend to have made this thing possible and my prof for the support and engagement. The stuff is interesting for her, too, I know that much.

Wished the work guy a happy holidays after I submitted my invoice and told him I'll retreat to my research work for the quiet period that seems to have arrived. A couple of hours later he messaged me, and the literal translation of what he said would "silence-schmilence". Someone had offered a 60 page translation! Well, they haven't confirmed it yet, so I don't know it'll go into action - but I do know that if it does, then the deadline would me more relaxed due to the holidays and I would have ample time to both grind my research AND do the translation on a daily basis. It would be a great start to my year.

It's also great that my prof here (primary supervisor) and my good prof who took me in when I was in the States finally managed to get their email exchange going. I have been blessed to have two exceptional ladies as my supervisors, both at the very top of their game, both great humans, both slightly different in their approaches to academic work (which is all the more enriching to me) and both in my corner I mean, I could not have wished for a better solution to my thesis situation if I had actually tried to come up with some unrealistic-perfect state of things. I have a specific agreement with the US prof in terms of her contribution (she's super busy) and I try to be a good student here for my sup, taking part in the events and really, I mean Really, listen to what she says. This is just an awesome setup for anyone. To look back and consider what it was like in my old faculty, it's impossible to compare the two. Now I actually feel accepted. While I have lots of proving myself to do, I know that I won't be going at it without support and guidance. That is super important in whatever line of work someone is. I'd imagine it's a lot like having a sponsor truth be told.

After my mindset switch, translations seem to be going better as well. I almost view it as my pet peeve, the fact that when I start focussing on the money, I lose sight of what is important, i.e. the process and the quality, and start rushing and thus start making more mistakes. While I, like everyone else, need some money as well, it seems to always have been the moment I shoot myself in the foot - focussing on the money aspect. It's as if I lose an essential connection between myself and my activity when money is the focus instead. I need to remind myself that every now and again, so I wouldn't forget and go off the path.

And then I have my trusy thread visitors and contributors here on SR I want you guys to know that your support and even your shortest posts have helped me through some pretty rough days.

It's not even the end of the year yet, but looking back ... I think it's the first year in recent memory where I am actually alright with what I managed to do, to see, to learn and to experience. Sobriety is at the core of it all.

End of Day 221. I did not drink today.