View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LilyLady1

Alcohol effects on medical tests

I guess this is the important wake-up call. My AST (liver enzyme) is 40 (doctor says it should be 32 or lower). My ferritin is 259 (should be 150 or lower). My A1C is 5.8 (should be 5.6 or lower). I am 50 pounds overweight, which affects these things, too, but the NP thinks it's due to alcohol.

It's easy to say I have no DUIs or arrests, no problems at work, no falling down drunk at parties or at home, almost never vomit (less than yearly) or have bad hangovers. It's harder to say I have been drinking nearly every day for 12 years except for a one-month period a couple years ago. It's harder to say I can go through a bottle of wine from dinner to bedtime or a fifth of vodka in 3 days. And I go to different liquor stores so I'm not buying at the same place 2 or 3 times in a week.

The medical tests are the wake up I needed. I must stop the drinking ... and drop 50 pounds, too. My plan is to come here often. If that isn't enough I will consider AA. I hope to be 1 year sober and 50 pounds lighter at the end of 2020.