Old 12-19-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
kk1k5x

Well, I set up everything for my work today and spent half a day doing that. I went through about 2% of the entire text mass (50 pages). Yup, it's that big. This one treasure trove of data will probably be enough for 2-3, maybe even four articles simply due to the complex and intertwined things people discuss on there. Kind of cool how this idea got started in Italy, then when I was in the UK my friend helped me out by actually writing code and getting this data. And now all there's left is the arduous but ultimately super rewarding research part.

There was also some news today - apparently the institute I'll be a member of as a PhD student will be applying for some project funds to run a longer course. The prof asked if I wanted to come and give a short lecture on the subject I'm working on right now. I like how she sold it "there's not a huge amount of money there. But there's pocket money and a chance to get your foot in the institute's door - that I can promise".

In my mind I was like - I've never done this for money. I mean, I will be paying for each semester I spend there (the fee is low, a year is 100 euros or so). I also don't call it tuition - I call it a season ticket :P That's a sign of 'do I want to be there?' if there ever was one. I immediately said yes, because I think the whole thing would probably be balls out interesting nerdy stuff.

Yesterday I read this book my friend gifted me ("The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****"). There's this interesting discussion about the difference between daydreaming about an end result or enjoying the struggle of the journey. I wasn't really sure about research in the beginning. Well, I knew nothing about it, my sups were no where to be found etc. But I stuck with it even through the drinking. There were many-many screw ups and ofc that whole faculty thing where I was more or less forced to leave. Then again - after all that, all the right people emerged, I started my sober journey and things just started falling into place. I never had a specific end-goal in mind. For once in my life, I simply felt 'this is something I actually like doing' and stuck around. You stick around sth long enough whilst actively engaged, you will inevitably start getting better at things. It takes small, repeated actions. And exactly like the book says: it's about whether you enjoy the struggle and toil of the journey. I do!

My sister was here with her partner and her son. He's already six months old! Wow, time sure flies. I guess I shouldn't really be all that surprised, given today's 'number' for me, too

Thanks for reading guys! Hope everyone is well. Tomorrow I'll submit what'll probably be my last invoice of the year and then it's the holidays. Which for me will be filled with arduous and mindnumbing data analysis and roast pork, potatoes and fried cabbage (mmmm....) and my mineral water+cranberry juice drink. I wouldn't have it any other way and I'm super looking forward to finding all the hidden gems from the text! It's a serious time crunch to get it done, so that'll be my extra challenge. Bring it!

End of Day 220. I did not drink today.